Short Description: Voted Best 2010 Rural Inn out of 8500 properties internationally, Casa Alta Royal Lodge, an hour and a half from Lisbon, is located within the precincts of the atmospheric Castle of Ourém, a small medieval village high above the rich Ourem Valley.
Long Description: Voted Best 2010 Rural Inn out of 8500 properties internationally, Casa Alta Royal Lodge, an hour and a half from Lisbon, is located within the precincts of the atmospheric Castle of Ourém, a small medieval village high above the rich Ourem Valley. The castle, itself, is a charming ruin, and still fun to explore. There is a single ring road with the walls of the castle and Casa Alta is nearest the castle itself (hence its name), and shares the castle's panoramic views. Casa Alta was built in the I2th Century for Kings, Queens, and Saints. The royal tradition continues today in the stately elegance, its gilt and velvets, and charming atmosphere of a bygone age. This is expressed in many antiques, tapestries, paintings, ceramics, silver, and decorative tile works at Casa Alta. Some guests have said that the interior reminds them of a small chateau. Deluxe towels, draped beds, and embroidered sheets, down pillows (a rarity in Portugal) and fluffy duvets add to the caressing touch of luxury. You can imagine being Princess Catherine of Braganza, who stayed at Casa Alta with her court the night before she sailed to England to become the Queen Consort to King Charles II, except that it will be more comfortable!
Outside, double doors open onto an ancient rock terrace overlooking the breathtaking Ourém Valley. Here lunches and dinners and afternoon teas are laid out. Surrounded by Hydrangea, Cosmos, Delphinium, Marguerite's and gladioli from the upper terrace it is only a few steps to the pool, secluded seating groups, sunning beds, and a rose arbor. An added plus to this rental is the complimentary service of a maid/cook to make your stay as effortless as possible. No need to spend valuable days sweating it out in markets and trying to make yourself understood. Just give your list to the chef and lunch or dinner will be on the table! You will have a delicious meal and a clean kitchen at night. If you enjoy cooking yourself, you will be shown where everything is in our fully stocked kitchen. Bedding and towels will be changed regularly and all your personal laundry needs will be taken care of. You will have the best of two worlds: the intimacy of an elegant small manor with all the amenities of a hotel without the cost! Because the price of the rental includes the cost of a housemaid/cook, it is very good value as a package.
The house and gardens are so quiet and peaceful; it is hard to pry yourself away. However, once done, there are many marvelous things to see in the area. To the west is the nearby International Shrine of Fatima that draws 6 million people a year, plus the magnificent royal monasteries of Batalha and Alcobaça and the charming fishing village of Nazaré. To the north is Porto and the famous River Douro and port wine country, the famous university town of Coimbra and it legendary library, and to the north are the gigantic specimen woods of the Hunting Palace of Bussaco, now a hotel and restaurant serving wild game. To the east is the last Templar Castle (Tomar) and the fairytale Almoural Castle. There are also nearby Roman Ruins. To the south is the romatic city of castles and royal palaces in Sintra, and of course, the capital city of Lisbon, rich in many sights. Casa Alta is centrally located to tour the best sights that Portugal has to offer. Whether you are staying a month or passing through, Casa Alta Royal Lodge is one of the great little gems of Portugal.
1. CHECK-IN TIME IS AFTER 3 P.M. GMT AND CHECK-OUT IS 10 GMT. However we can be flexible with advance notice.
2. NO SMOKING in Rooms
3. Pets are permitted under certain conditions.
4. We will not rent to vacationing students or singles under 25 years of age unless accompanied by an adult guardian or parent.
5. DAMAGE/RESERVATION DEPOSIT- A damage/reservation deposit of $250 is required. This must be received within ten(10) days after you have communicated that you wish to book the reservation. The deposit automatically converts to a security/damage deposit upon arrival. The deposit is NOT applied toward rent; however, it is fully refundable within (30) days of departure, provided the following provisions are met.
a. No damage is done to Lodge or its contents, beyond normal wear and tear.
b. No charges are incurred due to contraband, pets or collection of rents or services rendered during the stay.
c. All charges accrued during the stay are paid prior to departure.
d. The renter is not evicted by Fr. Mariani or local law enforcement.
6. PAYMENT - An advance payment equal to 50% of the rental rate is required 60 days before arrival. The advance payment will be applied toward the room rent. Please make payments in the form of traveler's checks, bank money orders, cashiers checks or personal checks payable to Casa Alta Royal Lodge or a credit card using PayPal. The advance payments are not a damage deposit. The BALANCE OF RENT is due fourteen (14) days before your arrival date.
7. CANCELLATIONS - A sixty (60) day notice is required for cancellation. Cancellations that are made more than sixty (60) days prior to the arrival date will incur no penalty. Cancellations or changes that result in a shortened stay, that are made within 60 days of the arrival date, forfeit the full advance payment and damage/reservation deposit. Cancellation after that, or early departure does not warrant any refund of rent or deposit. We suggest insurance for this.
8. MONTHLY RESERVATION CANCELLATIONS - Monthly renters must cancel one hundred twenty (120) days prior to check-in. Monthly renters who make a change that results in a shortened stay must be made at least ninety (90) days prior to check-in.
9. MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY- The maximum number of guests at the Lodge is limited to six (6) persons. An additional charge or $10.00 per person per night for guests in addition to six(6) will be assessed.
THIS PROPERTY REQUIRES A THREE (3) NIGHT MINIMUM STAY.
10. Longer minimum stays may be required during holiday periods. If a rental is taken for less than three days, the guest will be charged the three-night rate.
11. INCLUSIVE FEES - Rates include taxes and Amenity Fees such as Laundry, pool service, dishwashing, fourth- day bed change
12. DAILY MAID SERVICE is included in the rental rate. (We suggest you bring beach towels.)
13. COOK is included in the rental rate and lives in, and she can cook the food you bring. Alternatively, she can shop for you, cook, serve and clean up for €25 per person for a three course meal.
14. FR. MARIANI is on the premises
14. FALSIFIED RESERVATIONS - Any reservation obtained under false pretense will be subject to forfeiture of advance payment, deposit and/or rental money, and the party will not be permitted to check-in.
15. WRITTEN EXCEPTIONS - Any exceptions to the above mentioned policies must be approved in writing in advance.
16. LOSS OR INJURY Casa Alta Royal Lodge is not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.